Background

Monday, September 27, 2010

Our Late Night-Date Night

Okay, technically date night is Saturday so the title is a little misleading, but oh well. We had quite the interesting Sabbath last night. So we had just finished up 3 consecutive episodes of Gilmore Girls (He's on Season 6!! Almost there and only 6 months late!) when Chris had had enough. So he says something to the effect of...'OK, you've had your way, now it's my turn to wind down and relax.' So I'm thinking, 'Fine, whatever,' until I hear this dreadful, uberly-masculine, steroid-filled voice saying, "E. A. SPORTS!" I looked at him in horror and shouted, 'NOOO!' There's only so much NCAA I can handle, and I had hit my limit on being ignored while the TV gets shouted at for the week. So Chris starts to plead his case with me. It was in fact quite the compelling argument. He had just finished writing his paper. And he'd just taken his first PT test Friday. And had another one Tuesday. And just stayed awake through three straight episodes of Lauren Graham's gibberish. I still couldn't take it. 'Nope! You want to do something, you do something we both can do!' 'Fine! You can play with me, come on!' What had I gotten myself into?? 'What game do you want to play? Gears of War, Modern Warfare 2, or NCAA?' 'I don't care.' He then got a boyish, mischievous grin on his face and said, 'Gears of War!' I had to smile. 'Alright.' I then proceeded to tell him that in high school I had tried to play Halo and got caught in a corner and couldn't turn around. It was identical to "The Office" episode right after Jim transfers to Stanford and the whole office is playing Call of Duty and Karen shows the cameraman how Jim is literally stuck in a corner and trying to jump out. Then she kills him. I get too stressed with this kind of crap. I was a little excited though. Til we started. It went something like this. We're in this courtyard thing and he says, 'K, follow me' 'How do I move? Oh, ok. Where are you? Oh, ok.' Then there is this noise that apparently indicates something that is trying to kill us is coming. 'Crap! OK, MOVE, MOVE!' 'What?! Where?!' 'Nevermind, I got him.' (Me sighing in relief, then another dreadful noise) Then the ground right in front of me freaking opens up like the asphalt does in the beginning of War of the Worlds and something just as horrific comes out and is staring me right in the face! 'SHOOT IT!! SHOOT IT!! KILL HIM!!' 'I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHOOT!! GET AWAY FROM ME!! HOW DO I SHOOT?!?! GET HIM, BABE!!' 'Oh, you're dead. Ok, let me teach you the basics.' 'Uh, yeah!' He then proceeds to teach me about walking, turning, aiming, shooting, covering, and the only thing I figured out how to do on my own is how to tuck and roll. And it was on accident. I managed to survive the next couple of hours while he died twice. Then again, I spent most of my time trying to figure out where everyone else went and once I got there, they'd already killed the bad guys. Then I finally killed one on my own, 'WOO!! WOO!! I GOT HIM!! I GOT HIM ALL BY MYSELF!! OH YEAH!! I KICK TRASH AT THIS GAME!!' We didn't go to bed til 1 AM. Although I know I really didn't do anything, I feel that my war-time video game skills have improved immensely. So in the end, while I may not ever play it again, I do have potential. Take that wretches and locusts!

1 comment: