Background

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Woman, don't you tell me how my insurance works..."

Last weekend, we went to pick out some glasses for me (lost em again) and we found a couple that I liked at one place. They were a bit pricey so we decided to shop around a little more before committing. We go into Sears Optical, and they're incredibly busy, unhelpful, and quite rude. We finally get this woman to help us. This is how it went down, "What can I help you with?" I'll be honest, I kinda stared at her funny trying to figure out whether or not she was being sarcastic. I realized she really was looking for a serious response. I shrugged, "I dunno, I just need glasses..." "Ok, do you have a prescription?" "Yup." "Do you have insurance?" "Yup." "Who is your insurance with?" "Regence." "Ok. We can't do Regence on a weekend. We have to call your insurance to get authorization to sell you glasses." Now I just look at her like she's just plain dumb. "Really...?" "Yes." "You need pre-authorization from my insurance company?" "Mmmhmm." "Huh. Ok..." I start to wonder if she's even going to let me look around. I'm also thinking to myself, "You're the dang people who call and ask stupid questions all day long that you could have looked up online yourself! And you know what, lady? I'M THAT WOMAN YOU TALK TO ON THE OTHER END, AND I'M TELLIN YOU RIGHT NOW, THAT YOU DO NOT NEED PRE-AUTHORIZATION FOR GLASSES!!! I'm also wondering if this lady knows anything about insurance at this point. Of course, I'm (sorta) polite and keep that to myself. I do continue onward with major stink-eye and then she tells me this like she's doing me a favor, "If you want, you can look around I guess and then we could call your insurance company Monday." Hmm...thanks. We looked around for about a minute and a half to make sure there wasn't anything there I loved enough to forget about the previous conversation. So we left and I got my glasses from the first place because they were smart enough to look up our policy online and nobody had peed in their Cheerios that morning.

I then went to Target later that afternoon and as I pulled into a stall I thought to myself, "Dang, seems like every time I go to Target, it's raining." I laughed hysterically and out loud to myself. I live in Washington. Moral of the story? We're all kind of stupid sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment